About the Ambassadors Program
Accion’s Ambassador Program is a volunteer program whose goal is to send dedicated individuals to the field to document the impact of microfinance on the lives of microentrepreneurs throughout the world. The Ambassador Program is a fully volunteer-based and individually funded program that offers participants unique exposure to the work of Accion’s partner microfinance institutions (MFIs) in the field.
How the Program Works
- Ambassadors receive one week of intensive training at Accion’s headquarters in Boston, MA. The training covers such essentials as what to expect in the field, an introduction to microfinance and Accion’s work, and how to document field experiences through blogs, photographs, journals and video testimonials.
- Teams of 2-3 Ambassadors will travel to an Accion partner microfinance institution for 2-3 months, and even longer if possible.
- Once in the field, Ambassador responsibilities can include accompanying MFI loan officers on client visits to record the stories of microentrepreneurs; conducting brief social impact assessments; contributing to special projects; and assisting MFI staff with general administrative tasks.
Benefits to Ambassadors
- Customized one-week training from microfinance industry pioneer Accion
- Field experience working closely with MFI staff for up to 12 weeks in a developing country
- Career development and networking opportunities through Accion Ambassador alumni
Requirements to Apply
Ideal candidates will possess the following skills and meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 21 years old
- Be a university graduate
- Be fluent in a local language (such as Hindi, Swahili or Spanish – depending on the program location)
- Have experience traveling or living overseas (preferably in a developing country)
- Possess excellent writing, communication and analytical skills
- Have an interest in microfinance, economic development or social entrepreneurship
- Be familiar with video, photography and Web-based applications, such as blogs and social networks
- Be flexible, humble and self-motivated
- Be available to participate in the annual Ambassadors Training in Boston
- Be able to cover travel and living expenses during the course of the program, including the mandatory training in Boston
For more information about the program, please contact email@example.com.